What is FTP?
File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a network protocol used to upload, download, and transmit documents from one computer to the next via the internet. It was a revolutionary technology when it first launched in 1971. Users were able to transfer large files easily and recover lost data via disaster recovery. However, over the past fifty years, FTP has not kept up with technological and security standards.
Disadvantages of FTP
Businesses continue to use FTP to send and receive sensitive information online. Understandably, since people tend to stick to the classics and FTP was the solution for transferring data across the Internet before HTTP was created.
However, times have changed. FTP no longer meets the security and compliance requirements necessary to protect your client’s confidential information as it traverses the internet.
There are several other disadvantages that FTP has for file-sharing:
- Data is not encrypted: Usernames and passwords are shared in plaintext which means information is easily readable by hackers
- Does not meet compliance standards: Businesses that manage client information must adhere to regional compliance laws and regulations otherwise penalties occur. FTP does not meet most modern compliance regulations
- Lacks integrated communication to enable communication during the file-sharing process
Replacing FTP with TitanFile
Professionals from the government, accounting, and legal industry have made the switch to TitanFile — an award-winning secure file-sharing platform that enables effortless file sharing and correspondence in a single platform.
TitanFile comes with all the advantages of FTP and none of the inconveniences. You’ll benefit from incredibly-fast upload speeds and unparalleled security that includes encryption while files are in transit and at rest, two-factor authentication, and customer-managed encryption keys.
Better yet, TitanFile is as easy to use as email and requires little to no IT intervention. It’s a solution that allows staff the freedom to share files securely on their own.
Get a 15-day free trial or book a demo today!
Other TitanFile Benefits
- State-of-the-art security
- Large file sharing and unlimited storage
- Blazing-fast upload speeds
- Easy-to-use platform
- Easy client and staff collaboration
- HIPAA, PIPEDA, and GDPR compliant
- Outlook integration
- Amazing customer support